CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Value Of Contentment

OK, maybe a firm goodbye was too harsh. While I have very little time to blog right now, an occasional post is downright therapeutic (as is reading them).

So what brings me out of blog exile today? A lesson. Sometimes God speaks to you, it makes such a profound change in your heart, you NEED to write it down (and share it with others).

Yesterday I brought dinner to an old neighbor who was moving in to a new home. She had sold her Mc Mansion around the same time I sold mine. While we moved off to the country, she moved to a nearby city to a larger, more elaborate home. After a year, she was back.

Her new home was an old duplex on a busy road. She made a few excuses about the home, then started crying. She proceeded to tell me that when they moved into their "new" lifestyle, they suddenly realized they couldn't afford it. This mother with her three little children had to go back to work to help make house payments. After a year God provided an out. Their house that had been up for sale nearly the whole year finally sold, and a job opened up for her husband, back home.

As the tears welled in her eyes she said "I was never content. I always devalued my role as a stay at home mom, but when it's taken away from you, you suddenly realize how wonderful it is. Now I find joy in just being with my children, holding their hands."

WOW!

I have started to feel the seeds of discontentment creep in. My old farm house is too small (2000 sq ft). The drive is to far (12 min). This town is too small (yet has little crime). I don't have enough friends (then who brought me several dinners when I wasn't feeling well?). Being a housewife is too un-gratifying (yet what is more gratifying than raising your own children?)

Now I close my eyes and imagine it. A big house in town, tons of shallow friends, working full time to support my over indulged lifestyle. Kids in school, then daycare, like they are not even mine. It sounds like hell. With our lack of contentment, Satan has tricked so many of us into our own personal hell on earth.

I put too much value on what is not important, and that breeds discontentment. I care too much about material things (houses, clothes, etc). Too much about my appearance (I've never been content with my weight, even at size 4, and no matter how hard I try, I'm never quite as pretty as I'd like to be... oh and aging makes the battle darn near impossible). While I seem to care less than most, people's negative opinions can still affect me, .... And God whispers "let it go". "Let It ALL Go!"

Every season, I feel like God gives me a theme; words and lessons that revolves around a particular area in which I need growth. This season through much prayer and confirmation, I believe my "theme" is "how to die to my flesh". While my Christian walk has been laced with that principle, I feel like God wants to help me reach new levels in my "death walk". Sounds morbid? No, sounds like freedom.

The first step? To learn the value of contentment.

16 comments:

Chelle said...

This post hits me painfully close to home. I can so relate to the discontentment on so many levels.

Nice to hear from you again! :-)

Gayle said...

I am so glad you came out of hiding to share this. I'm in this season right now and God just keeps telling me to "die and trust." That's the constant theme. You just gave me a re-focuser! Thanks!

javamamma said...

Glad you came back to share with us!

"I put to much value on what is not important, and that breeds discontentment."

I will muse and be challenged by this quote for a while I think.

Halfmoon Girl said...

I am so thankful that you took the time to share this. I need this reminder often as this is my weak spot too. My eyes welled up when you mentioned the mom who was thankful to just hold her children's hands as well as where you talked about God whispering "let it go."

Mrs. Darling said...

I had no idea you were back to blogging or I would have been over here sooner. Im so glad to read your entries again.

I really dont have a problem with dicontentment but believe me I have plenty others! And yes, there is nothing as wonderful as staying home and raising your kids. Now as a grandmother I can look back and see the fruits of my labor and its all been worth it. Hang in there!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I'm so, so glad you came out in blogworld to share this. This is a HUGE area for me. You are very wise, friend. My phrase from Him these days? "I am enough." And the "AM I enough for you, Cindy?" Of course He is. Do I act like it? Nope.

EEEEMommy said...

Girls are entitled to the right to change their mind. :)
Excellent post! Encouraging and challenging at the same time!

Oh and by the way, you're gorgeous...even without makeup! Pictures don't lie, God made you beautiful. ;) (And I wouldn't say so if it weren't true, and I bet if I asked your husband he'd agree with me.)

Gombojav Tribe said...

Nice to have ya back! :-)

Kimmie said...

Welcome back..I missed you!

Oh, that we could all walk in His fullness of Joy and not be dissuaded from it entirety.

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

call*me*kate said...

Thanks for sharing this. I think we all need this kind of reminder, at least from time to time.

When I start feeling discontentment, I realize I just need a break from constantly being needed by my kids and husband and house. And I know this time is not forever, not even close. And when I'm at wits' end, I look into my kid's eyes and sigh - realizing that one day, I won't be asked to listen to a story or see what they've drawn. And then I hug them and I feel better!

Have a terrific week!
Kate

EE said...

So glad you're back!
I needed this post today...thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this! My journey right now is Simplicity, very related to the journey of Contentment. Blessings to you,

Anonymous said...

Excellent word. Thanks for sharing.

Shari

Christine said...

Hmm this hit home for me. I've been working on this, starting a week ago. Thanks for this post! I'm new to your blog,and I think I'll bookmark it.

Mrs. Darling said...

Thanks for your kind comment on my food trays!

Anonymous said...

It is SO good to hear from ya hon!
I know exactly what you are saying and I am so glad that God brought back to your blog to give the rest of us a little reminder of just how Satan can creep in and skew our view of our lives. Great post sweetie!!