CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Finally, Peace With the Caped Homeschooler, and other Mid-morning Epiphanies

I'm stealing graceforgayle's idea. Rather that come up with new blog material this evening, I've decided to reach back into my homeschool blogger archives and pull out one of my old posts. Thanks for the ideas Gayle! ~K

Homeschoolers have always been stereotyped as "weird". I'm going to be honest here. It has bothered me that I was clumped in with a group known for being social misfits, having bad hair (my husband and I lovingly refer to it as "homeschool hair"), and strange attire (remember, I've always admitted to being a little shallow).
I will never forget my first visit to a homeschool support group. We saw all the stereo types. Boys in grey sweats, denim jumpers, doily collars, homeschool hair that should be illegal, AND.... a homeschooler in a cape. A CAPE! (We've often joked about that one over the years.)
We knew we were called to homeschool our kids, but this sensory overload was daunting to say the least. We obeyed the Lord and homeschooled, but spent the next 5 years trying to prove to the world, and ourselves, that we were not one of those homeschoolers. Homeschoolers can be hip and fashionable. They don't have to have odd interests, and a Lord of the Rings obsession.
OK, now that I've probably offended 1/2 of you, stay with me, I'm almost to the epiphany part.
Last Sunday, I met a lady at church (she's new to town) and we hit it off. She had a great personality, kids my kids age, and seemed like she had a strong relationship with the Lord. Best of all, she seemed so NORMAL. We exchanged numbers and agreed to talk more.
Yesterday we did just that. She talked about how much she loved her kids school. She raved about the well behaved kids and the involvement of the parents. OK, this sounded pretty good, so I asked, "what about the school teaching world views? Aren't you concerned about your kids being bombarded with evolution or the homosexual agenda?" (I get right to the point, can you tell?)
Her response floored me. "I want my children to accept diverse people and ideas, and not be so close minded". WOW! This lady had bought the liberal world view hook line and sinker! Then it occurred to me, this IS normal. It's normal for Americans (even church going ones) go against biblical truths in favor of a world view, it's hard to go against the grain! No one wants to be the weird one, right?
Epiphany time. I DON'T want to be normal! I want to go against the world's corrupt ideas and instead embrace the will of my God! If that makes me weird so be it.
Yesterday evening, my husband and I talked about the conversation I had earlier that day, and he said, "I'd much rather our kids befriend a homeschooler in a cape than a wishy washy Christian kids with a liberal world view."
So, here we are full circle. Suddenly that caped homeschooler isn't so bad, and normal doesn't look so good. I'd much rather have friends with substance and a firm relationship with the Lord, than be normal.
Finally I've made peace with the caped homeschooler, and in the process, I've made peace with myself. ~K

And do not be conformed to this world, but transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2

9 comments:

Christin said...

"...you are a PECULIAR people, a holy nation, a people of God's own possession..." 1 Pet.2:9

It's the peculiar part that sort of gets to me, you know? ;) I mean really, who wants to be the odd man out? Oh, oh, Pick me! pick me!

Glad you found your peace with cape-lady. Just please, do me a favor, befriend her so maybe she'll take the thing off and give the rest of us homeschoolers a fighting chance to educate the world that we're not completely off-kilter. mkay? *wink*

Terri said...

I homeschool, too. I have found myself hesitant to tell strangers in the store that I homeschool because of the stereotypes associated with a homeschooler. But you're so right. The world's "normal" is not what I want to be either.

javamamma said...

I remember this post...

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Girl, I have gone down the same road. I remember the Christian kids when I grew up and they always looked weird (I wasn't one of them yet) and I made it my goal not to look like a freak after my conversion...LOL!
Several years, and a bunch more chipping away of the blackness of my own heart later, I have a different perspective to say the least.
I still want us to look decent, but I would rather my heart be pretty now.
Anyway, to sort of answer your question...Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you?
Email me and I can give you more info about the cake stuff...
westiecrew6@bellsouth.net

Chelle said...

I remember this post! Classic Karlie... :-)

Halfmoon Girl said...

I totally loved this post. I can so relate to not wanting my kids to look like "homeschoolers". You make a great point here though- so true. By the way, I am sitting here myself with very bad hair as I type this. Oh well...

Gayle said...

Ha, and you picked one of my favorites. Just gets better with age!

EE said...

My kids go to public schools. I've always tried to teach them that people matter...love the sinner/hate the sin. I want them to befriend the troubled kids. I don't want them to develop a holier-than-thou attitude...that tends to breed pridefulness. (My highschool boyfriend was the epitome of the "I'm better than you" prideful Christian).
That being said, I've met some really cool homeschoolers at our church, and their kid's aren't the least bit weird!!!
PS Hope I haven't offended you/or scared you off...that totally was not my intention:)

ConservaChick said...

EE,
Goodness no! No offense here. I actually agree with you. When my kids went to ps briefly they started out by befriending the children in need... I was SO proud. Unfortunately the whole popularity drama crap kicked in and suddenly it was all about being cool. It was the "better than you attitiude" that really made me re-think my children's readiness for school. If they are not going to be salt and light, what's the point? ~Karlie