CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thankfulness

Today as I woke up, I was summoned outdoors by a beautiful fall morning. I wrapped up in my soft pink robe (that has seen better days) and greeted the day on my rickety old front porch. A sudden wave of thankfulness hit me as I drew my first breath of crisp cool air.
God has provided blessing all around us, ones we often ignore. Yet my senses were heightened this morning to the vast array of his gifts around me.

Lord, I am thankful for:

Fall mornings, where the first splash of new color glistens on trees, like gold in the shifting sun.

To be greeted by my rust colored hound. His wet nose. His playful eyes. Unconditional love, where my just my presence... is enough.

Daddies and little boys up before dawn. Bundled and warm. Fishing stories and hot cocoa in a big grey truck. Watching the sun rise over the lake, poles in hands, eyes wide with anticipation. Powdered sugar smiles... evidence of breakfast still lingering on their sweet breath.

Husbands who leave a full pot of coffee for sleepy wives. Pumpkin pie creamer swirls with rich coffee in my favorite blue cup... a goodbye gift from precious friends. It reads He fills My Life With Good Things. Psalm 103:5. THANK YOU LORD!

The harvest waiting for me in my garden. An afternoon bounty of golden corn, juicy apples, and perfect pumpkins. Produce baskets overflowing, warm spicy smells from the kitchen, cinnamon candles, and the soft song of a flute, a practicing melody lingering behind my daughter's door.

Giggly girl sleepovers. Trampoline tricks after dark. Laughter that echoes in an endless rupture of glee. Pizza boxes and root beer stains. 5 sleeping girls who are not yet pining for their breakfast.

An old friend beside me. I can't see his face, but I know he is there. His handiwork is in the beauty of this morning. He is my father, my savior, my best friend. His endless love finds pleasure in delighting me with a morning like this... a moment like this. No words can describe this feeling of unmeasurable gratitude.

It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to the Most High. It is good to proclaim your unfailing love in the morning, your faithfulness in the evening.... You thrill me, Lord, with all you have done for me! I sing for joy because of what you have done. Psalm 92: 1-4

8 comments:

Chelle said...

What a beautiful post...it almost sounded like poetry. I'm so glad you were blessed this morning.

javamamma said...

Beautiful thoughts. If only every morning began this way {in my heart}. Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

A thankful heart has an amazing way of changing our perspective on life. Thanks for sharing.

Shari

Halfmoon Girl said...

That was a beautiful post! I am having a CRUMMY morning. But... I still have many blessings. There is always something to be thankful for- it really helps change our perspective, doesn't it?

Fifi said...

Absolutely inspiring! What a beautiful post! I feel challenged to look for more beauty in my life.Thank you!
Love to you
Fifi

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was just beautiful and oh so wonderful. I was in definite need of reminding to take a look away from the trials and focus on the blessings!! Thank you.

EE said...

Beautiful post!!

Terri said...

Lovely post. "An old friend beside me"--this whole paragraph, wow! I needed this reminder of all I have to be thankful for.