CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Power of Our Words Part 2 :Gossip

I took a little detour with my last post, because I just HAD to tell y'all about my vacation. Now on the tale end of one weird post, comes another. My gossip post starts with a "prophetic" dream, so if any of you are leery of my Charismatic ways, now would be a good time to bolt.

Is anyone still here?

A few weeks ago I had a dream. Not just my typical chased by a giant Twinkie dream, but the kind where you wake up and think. hmm, I wonder if God is trying to tell me something.

In my dream I was surrounded by my friends, and every time I opened my mouth to talk, these big black bugs would crawl out. Gross huh. I would go around telling everyone that it was the enemy attacking, but all my friends would just laugh and say "oh it's nothing don't worry about it". Hmm, big black bugs in my mouth is nothing? Whatever, it was a dream.

When I woke up, I could remember the dream so vividly. All day long it bothered me. It really had the flavor of a prophetic dream (which I have had on RARE occasions). I prayed that God would reveal the meaning if it was from him, then tried to dismiss it when I didn't quickly hear an answer.

Last week while I was at the gym, a woman from my old church was on the stairmaster (aka butt cheek torture device) next to me. I turned to make small talk and after a few minutes she started to open up about the pain she was experiencing at church. She was being gossiped about in a BIG way, and was suffering at the mouths of a few busy bodies. Her sadness effected me, but what affected me more was the fact she stuck around out of obedience to God. She got all of her strength to show up each Sunday and face her offnders by her complete and desperate reliance on God.

Now here is the "ouch" part. I will admit in front of all of you, that I too participated in her slander. A friend of mine has an intense hatred of her, and after awhile I fell pray to the malicious venom of Gossip, and got sucked in.

As this poor woman spoke about the gossip being spread, I suddenly flashed back to my dream, and at that moment, God revealed my dream. The bugs were Gossip. I was allowing the enemy to attack others through my own mouth. At that very moment I repented silently in my heart. I want to repent ... I WILL repent to her face, but I'm going to need prayer and courage first. Would YOU pray for that for me?

My drive home was filled with epiphany as I realized how I have allowed the enemy to use my words over this last year. I once took pride in the fact I didn't participate in Gossip, and now here I was repenting for a YEAR of "foul" words. A YEAR!

I now recommit to stand up strong against gossip. No more does the enemy have free access to my mouth. I pray that the Lord will build back up the relationships I have torn down, and I pray that my conviction helps those around me turn from this spirit of criticism.


They sharpen their tongues like swords and aim their words like deadly arrows. Psalm 64:3


With words of hatred they surround me; they attack me without cause. Psalm 109:3

you have been trapped by what you said, ensnared by the words of your mouth. Proverbs 6:2


The words of the wicked lie in wait for blood, but the speech of the upright rescues them. Proverbs 12:6


Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 12:18


The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts. Proverbs 18:8


Words from a wise man's mouth are gracious, but a fool is consumed by his own lips. Ecclesiastes 10:12


Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. Romans 1:29

21 comments:

MyKidsMom said...

Thank you for this post. I think most of us could put ourselves in your shoes here at some time in our Christian lives. It's always good to have a reminder of how powerful our words are, and how much they can hurt others.

San said...

I too have had "warning" dreams like that. Warning me of others' behavior and my own tendency to get hooked into something that isn't in my best interest.

Wandered over from David's place. Nice post.

Robin said...

Oh I just praise God He has brought this to your attention and that you have a teachable enough spirit to receive it and repent! I know of another woman in who refuses to repent and continues in her words that lack discreation. I just pray for healing between you & the person you need to face, and the courage of Gods Spirit to be with you. It is so refreshing to read what you shared today on the heels of the devastation the person I know is causing--you have encouraged mt to pray for a change of heart and for God to open her eyes like He has yours-praise God! Be blessed, He is at work in your life.

Anonymous said...

Uh, thanks for the slap....it woke me up. I'm convicted right now. I can think of one person in particular who actually bothers me so much I'd rather not see her at all.

I can explain away MY part by telling you that she's mean and hurtful to others and pious and often rude.

BUT. ahhhh. my big butt.

I should learn to keep my mouth shut, 'cause you're right....the bugs are downright gross.

Nessa said...

A very powerful post. I could use lots of help with this too.

Gayle said...

Who hasn't fallen prey to gossip? It's talked about so much in the Bible for a darn good reason. You're on a roll with the wise words lately. I'm still going to have my "day of speaking good things to strangers" from your post a few days ago.

Black bugs...yuck!

Mrs. Darling said...

Great post! Its funny how God still uses dreams after all these years. Ive had dreams where God spoke to me too. Its amazing!

javamamma said...

What an intense dream. Wow. God's word for me this year - SLANDER - as in getting rid of it out of my life. Maybe the picture of black bugs coming out my mouth will help me realize the seriousness of this sin. Yuck.

Jenny86753oh9 said...

Oh man, it's amazing how this issue continues to be an issue in church circles time and time again.

Great post.

His Girl said...

blessings to you for being so honest and for being willing to accept the discipline of God.

The Lord chastens whom He loves....


I'll pray for strength & restoration for you :)

Stacey said...

Karlie, I sure do wish you were my in real life friend. I honestly do. It's one thing to know you are guilty, but to be convicted to repent in person, girlfriend, you are one superchick! I am praying. You rock, girl! xo

Halfmoon Girl said...

another great post Karlie. I am right there with you in being convicted about gossip. I will pray for you and your conversation with the woman at the gym. What a powerful way for God to show you what He wants you to work on. I needed to read those verses tonight- I am ticked off at my husband and needed a reminder to keep my words in check!

CrossView said...

What an amazing post! I'll be praying for you to have the strength and humility to confess that. Isn't God amazing??!!

I went through a phase where I was researching gossip. It started when I began to notice that prayer requests sounded too much like thinly veiled gossip. It's one of the ugliest things in the churches and we've all been guilty of it. =/

carrie said...

Excellent post! I love how you put scripture at the end in order to reinforce just how important it is to guard our tongues...my hubby and I are going through some things at our church now and it is very very easy to slip into slandering the people who are allowing Satan to use them too cause discord in the church but instead we need to stand against Satan not the people ;)

EEEEMommy said...

It's a powerful image! Convicting too!

Christin said...

Wow for so many reasons. First, God is SO gracious in his discipline of us, isn't he?! And then, you the fact that you humbled yourself and confessed. Sounds like you already have quite a large amt. of strength in you, lady! I have a feeling that when you DO confess to that woman, you'll make a friend

Anonymous said...

God, I do ask you for the courage for Karlie to obey you and repent to this lady. Guard her heart and mouth. May her words by full of grace and encouragement. God, Thank you for her heart to love and obey you. Bless her this week. Amen.

Have a good week!

Shari

Leanne said...

Karlie~

I thank you so much from the bottom of my very bruised, very broken heart for your supportive comments. I also thank you for reading my blog.

I'm having absolutely not one symptom of threatened miscarriage yet, not like my last one where we caught it in progress. I've chosen to wait for God to start the process naturally, and have no idea what to expect or when to expect it. I see the doctor tomorrow.

I had no idea that you had had a miscarriage. My heart also goes out to you. No matter how long ago it was, they're still our babies and don't we always live with them in our hearts? I want to say I'm so sorry that you had to go through that.....

I loved the verse that you left for me too....my bloggy friends have been the best. I know I can survive because I am pressed but not crushed, persecuted not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed, I am blessed beyond the curse for His promise will endure, and His joy's gonna be my strength....though the sorrow may last for the night, His joy comes in the morning.

Again, thank you so much.

LOVE
Leanne

Alana said...

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

It's amazing how God speaks truth into our lives. I think it is great that you are going to apologize to her...it will take a lot of guts, but I think she will be blessed by it!

EE said...

I'm going to start picture bugs coming out of my mouth whenever I get the urge to gossip. Great post!

Anonymous said...

AWESOME Post! I recently dealt with this very issue! I have recomitted my life to freedom from gossip, and the traps and lures which provoke it!
Good for you girl!