CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Domestic Goddess Personified

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to "crafty" things. While I love being a mother and a homemaker, my domestic talents are sadly "lacking".

Several years ago, I had this lovely neighbor who wore pretty skirts, sewed aprons, and wore a bun in her hair. Best of all, she made her own bread! She was a domestic goddess personified. So, in effort to claim some of that goddess vibe as my own I decided to start making MY own bread. The first 15 loaves resembled bricks. After many tears I finally started to make the dough rise, and after several years I FINALLY got the hang of it. I'm just not quick to pick these things up!

Two years ago, we put our little boys in soccer. I noticed a few soccer moms sitting all bundled up at the games, with a thermos of hot cocoa at their side, crocheting cute little hats for their boys. Oh yes! I wanted to be THAT mom! So, I went off to the craft store, and bought everything I needed to create my crochet masterpiece.

The following Sunday I bundled myself up all adorable and soccer mom like, put some cocoa in a mug, and headed off to the soccer field. With crochet needles in hand, I started on a scarf for my mom. Who else here still wants to make projects to give to their mom? I can always count on her smiling and saying it's beautiful no matter how crappy it looks. I just love moms.

It started out just fine, but it kept getting bigger. I couldn't figure it out! Finally I looked down, and realized my scarf was in the shape of a V. If I folded it in half it resembled a thong. Perfect.... I crocheted my mother a "thong" for Christmas.

I could continue with the domestic tragedies, like the time I set our beach house on fire while cooking crab, or the petite fours I made with salt instead of sugar, but I will spare you.

Today however, I had a domestic TRIUMPH! My mom bought me a new sewing machine as an early birthday present. I had several scraps of fabric laying around from other numerous projects "gone bad", so I decided to try and make a quilt. OK, maybe just a pillow... baby steps.

Guess what! I DID IT! If only you could have heard the squeals of delight as I pieced this thing together! I don't think y'all can comprehend how dang excited I am! I danced, I called friends and family to share the good news, every time I walk by the little 14 X 14 scrap of fabric I giggle!

So, here is proof of my inner domesticated self unleashed! (Ugh.. that sounded kind of liberal. How about my inner domesticated conservative self unleashed? Better?)



Here it is! Isn't it beautiful! It really is a pillow... I just don't have any pillow stuff to stick inside.


Here I am posing with my creation. Do you see my joy? I think I look a little psycotic, but that's OK. Unleashing one's domestic self does that ( ;

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so funny that I had to read it to my mom. Her first reaction was to tell me not to make her a thong. LOLOLOL Thanks for such a hearty laugh. WTG on the pillow. It really is quite lovely. Now I have a goal to aspire to.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being successful! Great job.

So are you moving on to a quilt yet?

Shari

Nessa said...

Your quilted pillow is very pretty. You should be proud.

Halfmoon Girl said...

I feel your joy! I am the same as you when it comes to sewing, crocheting, etc, and I would be just as excited as you if I had a successful attempt at quilting! You go girl- you give me hope!

javamamma said...

Looks great! Do you have a designated room to display that piece of art in?

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

WOW! You go, Domestigirl.

Gayle said...

I always knew you had it in you.

You have the look of a little kid who has just drawn his best picture ever!

You aren't going to start wearing buns now are you?

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Absolutely GAW-JUS dahling.
I am laughing at your cocoa/crocheting saga! You should have busted up into those practices with a 5th of vodka and...ah, nevermind...I love shock value too much.
But it would have been funny. It probably would have knocked their crocheted socks right off.

ConservaChick said...

Gayle,
If it helps me quilt, or bake bread... you betcha! Buns ROCK!

Mrs. Darling said...

That is so funny but I definitely feel your joy! LOL

I can sew but it is the one thing I hate to do on the domestic front!

MyKidsMom said...

I'm glad there is someone else who isn't a natural at all the crafty things. And the pillow case is lovely- maybe I should give it a try~

EE said...

Very funny post!!
I can't imagine wearing a crochet thong...very scratchy;)

CrossView said...

Wow! I'm impressed! =D I've always wanted to learn how to quilt. But I'm pretty sure I'd need to learn how to sew first??!! LOL!