CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Reason We Orbit Around the Son

Sometimes I start feeling down. The snow won't melt and I'm stuck in my house. The grocery bills keep getting higher. The holiday "goodies" have added a few pounds to the mid-section. These all sound like little things, but I can make them HUGE. Seriously, I can lose sleep over a few pounds (although I'm a bit mental that way).

I've been feeling pretty low, in the world that orbits around me. Being self centered has a tendency to do that. I've been ignoring God. I really don't know why. I just have been avoiding him.

Today at church I had a "moment". I was worshiping, and having a bad attitude about it, when a song caught me off guard. "We all fall down, we lay our crowns at the feet of Jesus." I'm not sure what happened. All I know is that the Holy Spirit hit me hard. I could feel it so physically, I was worried I'd have a Toronto moment, right there in my little conservative church!

My heart God's again... in just that moment. WOW!

The sermon was by some homegrown missionaries, serving in Uganda. I heard about little girls sold into prostitution at 8... for a bag of sugar. They told us how most men beat their wives, because that is how things are done, and how the "wives" can't ever escape because they have NO way to care for themselves and their children. We were told that they drink the same water that they defecate in, and dump their dead, and pour gasoline in, and then wonder why their babies die of ecoli. We heard how they lock away their handicap children. We learned that they don't have families... just many partners, and many children. They don't parent... they don't know how. Their lives are so incredibly void of God, that they have no morals, only fear and misery. Yet they are people just like us, with feelings, and sadness, and SO in need of a little hope... of a savior.... but they are afraid to know him. How very sad.

My world seems a little brighter right now. I am thankful for education, and toilets, and handicap rights. I'm thankful for clean water acts, and medicine, and families! I am thankful that my girls live in a country where they CAN provide for themselves if need be... where they can learn, and love, and be loved by their husbands.

We are so blessed that God is here. Here in America. This country WAS founded on Godly principles, and we are still reaping the results.

Today I saw what the Godless looked like, and it broke my heart.

A man centered world leads to despair.

God NEEDS to be the center.

8 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

Wow, good post here. Gives me something to think about too. I can relate about worship breaking down the barriers that I put up between God and myself. Happy for you and your perspective on things. I fret about a few extra pounds too- I often have to remind myself to think on what is really important!

javamamma said...

Nothing like a little perspective, eh? My hubby is about to head off to India. I'm sure we'll all learn to appreciate America and each other a little more.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be great if you and Christopher could start your own church? A church for people who have given up on church but not on God?

Becky said...

I always get to feeling a little bluesy after Christmas, too...for me, I think it's a total sugar 'crash' after too many goodies. WHY do I always do that to myself? Ugh.

But you're so right...nothing like a good missions presentation to begin thinking upwardly and outwardly once again.

And I love those kinds of worship moments, too.

Miss Lisa said...

I completely and totally agree.

I get a little blue in the week between Christmas and New Year--a bit of Christmas withdrawl coupled with saying goodbye to another year always seems to do it.

Christin said...

Hey!! I found you A-GAIN thanks to Javamamma.

I always love hearing your heart. so real. so raw. so thought provoking.

So...wanna be my neighbor? You know, so we can chat in our ugly sweats about real life.

happyhome said...

That is one of my favorite songs and never fails to bring me to the heart of worship. Your sermon recap is an amazing reminder of the things we (read I) so often take for granted. Thanks for sharing.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Wow. That's perspective for sure.

And amen to all that we have here as Americans. You're right, most of us haven't a stinkin' clue how good it really is...